All About Your Visa Application
General requirements for obtaining a visa
- Application for Schengen Visa - Application form (completed and signed).*
- Original passport* valid for travel to Sweden. The passport validity must exceed the planned stay in the Schengen Area with at least three months. The passport must have been issued within the last ten years.
- Photocopies of original passport including the Data Page, Immigration file number and any other visas, residence permits, entry and exit stamps.
- Previous passport in original if a new passport has been issued within the last year.
- Copy of national ID-card.
- Two color photos* not more than six months old, passport size (45 mm x 35 mm), full face and taken against a light background. Kindly download the Photo Specification file for more information
- Individual medical travel insurance which covers all costs that could arise as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalization or medical repatriation. The insurance should cover costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid in all the Schengen countries. Please click here to download the list of approved Insurance Companies in Nairobi, Kenya
- Preliminary ticket booking or travel itinerary.
- Proof of payment* (bank deposit slip, banker’s draft) or,
- Proof of fee exemption.
In addition to the above mentioned requirements you need to submit documents relating to your purpose, accommodation, financial means and your personal establishment in Kenya.
Please see the specified requirements as per purpose of visit for more details. The mere submission of the listed documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa. Individual assessments are made in every case.
If your application lacks any of the above documents marked (*) it is considered inadmissible and your documents, including application fee will be returned to you without further notice. (Visa Codex art. 19:3).
Specific requirements for visits by children (under 18 year) all categories
- Original and copy of birth certificate.
- Copy of both parents ID-cards and passports if applicable (all pages containing any type of information).
- Written consent letter from both parents if the child is travelling alone, or from the parent that is not accompanying the child when travelling.
- If either parent is absent or deceased this must be supported by the information on the birth certificate or a death certificate when applicable.
- If the legal guardian is someone else apart from the biological parent as stated in the birth certificate a custody order must be submitted proving the legal guardianship.
- A letter from school containing the child’s name, name of parents, grade, number of years at school, leave days granted, contact details, date and name of school representative.
- If the child is travelling with a group please submit a complete list of names of all group members travelling and name of person in charge of the group.
- Documents relating to the purpose of the travel including financial responsibility, accommodation and registration for events when applicable.
- All submitted documents must be in Swedish or in English.
- An interview may be required at the Embassy or by phone.
- The application may need to be referred to the Swedish Migration Board, which will delay the processing time.
- That you may be asked to provide further information or documentary evidence in addition to the above guidelines.
Required Travel Insurance
A medical insurance is compulsory for visitors to Sweden and other Schengen states. The insurance must cover at least 30 000 Euro and include costs for medical treatment, hospitalization and repatriation due to injury or medical reasons.
The reimbursement from the insurance company must be payable in any EU-country, Switzerland and Lichtenstein.
The company issuing the insurance can be based anywhere but preferably you should use a company base in your home country or the country you are travelling to. The Embassy must assess whether the company is solid or not. For this purpose all Schengen Missions in Nairobi have compiled a list of trusted companies. If you use a company that has not been assessed by the Schengen Missions the handling time of your application will be at least 30 days.
Please note that you have to bring your travel insurance with you when travelling due to inspections of relevant documents at the border control when entering the Schengen area.
Please click here to download the list of approved insurance companies in Nairobi
Visa Applying Process
The processing time will be at least 15 days for all visa categories.
The period may be extended up to a maximum of 30 calendar days in individual cases when further scrutiny of the application is needed. Exceptionally, when additional documentation is needed, the period may be extended up to a maximum of 60 calendar days.
According to the Visa Code art. 9:1 the application may be submitted, at the earliest, three months before the planned entry date into the Schengen area.
Kindly note that VFS will entertain queries regarding the status of your visa application during the process.
It is mandatory to book an appointment to visit Visa Application Centre between 12:00 to 15:00 hours.
For groups of 15 or more applicants scheduled appointment is mandatory. You can book the appointment online Click here to book an appointment
No appointment booking charges
Before applying, please ensure you are very clear on your ‘purpose of visit’ – do remember we are here to assist and help you through the entire visa application process but are not permitted to advise or guide you on choosing a visa category. Since our work is primarily administrative in nature, we have no say on whether you will be granted a visa and how long it will take to process, as this is entirely the prerogative of the Embassy of Sweden.
Please go to the link “Visa Types” to understand details of various visa categories.
Please ensure you read the security regulation notices before you visit the Visa Application Centre / Embassy of Sweden, Nairobi
Applications for visa to Sweden are accepted at the Visa Application Centre.
Please don’t send your applications, additional documents, passports & appeal through courier; we won’t accept anything through courier for processing. We will not be held for any responsibilities in case if the courier is lost / misused.